Zoho Banner September 2011

Yes, I know PST files are BAD, but due to circumstances that would take too long to explain, I still use SMTP and POP3 with Outlook 2007 for my home email.  The other day I had a power outage that caused a corruption to one of my PST files.  I know that you can repair PSTs within SCANPST, so I Googled where to find it.

The Microsoft KB article, How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 has this to say on the location of SCANPST.EXE:

disk drive :\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\

disk drive :\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

For a 64-bit operating system, the programs are typically installed in one of the following folders:

disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\

disk drive:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033″

The problem was I couldn’t find my SCANPST in any of the location mentioned. Eventually, after searching my Vista machine with the option “Include non-indexed, hidden and system files (might be slow)” I found it here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

They weren’t kidding about the “might be slow” part.  Anyway, after locating the file, it worked perfectly for my problem.

I’ve provided feedback on the KB article, so hopefully Microsoft will update the location soon.

17 Comments

1. Filip says:

Thx – your comment on the exact location was a real help.

Yours
    Filip

2. harun says:

thanks… this was really what i needed

3. daren says:

thanks! really helpful

4. William says:

Thx for the help. I located it exactly where you said it would be. Now if it will ONLY work! But I’ve got to read somewhere exactly HOW it should be used.

5. dykstranet says:

Thank you. If only MS support were so helpful.

6. Psyntax says:

You are “The Man”. Perfect fix.
    Thank you.

Hey Microsoft: Get this info into your database!

7. UKgnome says:

Cheers Bud – been trying to find it on my vista box for a while. Who would of thought it would be hidden eh!

8. Barbara says:

Thank you for your assistance, have been searching for scanpst.exe for a long time – Vista of course – but path worked, and all repaired.

9. Shrikanth says:

I found the article to be quite useful but my issues was not solved … And finally after doing a lot of research i manage to to find how to repair PST… All i do was go to the
    scanpst.exe location In Windows XP you can find it under:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

In Windows Vista you can find it under:
    C:\Users\…\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Double click on the file and your issues was resolved.

Hope my post will help many !

Thanks

10. How To Fix Pst In Outlook 2007 says:

[...] It uses advance algorithm which exhaustively scans corrupt Head arrangement. These tools are designed to repair the corrupt PST files if the latest info. It is clear now that the currently selected text to clipboard using Ctrl+Insert doesn’t always able to recover. [...]

11. Where Is Scanpst Located Vista | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org says:

[…] Open a Socket! » Blog Archive » Where to find Scanpst on Vista – … Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 has this to say on the location of SCANPST.EXE: … http://www.pstrepairdownload.com/scanpstexe-download.php http://www.open-a-socket.com/index.php/2008/10/13/where-to-find-scanpst-on-vista/ This entry was posted in Uncategorized by admin. Bookmark the … […]

12. Scanpst Vista 64 Bit | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org says:

[…] Open a Socket! » Blog Archive » Where to find Scanpst on Vista – For a 64-bit operating system, the programs are typically installed in one of the following folders … .outlookpstfilerepair.com/outlook-inbox-repair-tool.php http://www.open-a-socket.com/index.php/2008/10/13/where-to-find-scanpst-on-vista/ This entry was posted in Uncategorized by admin … […]

13. Scanpst In Vista | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org says:

[…] Open a Socket! » Blog Archive » Where to find Scanpst on Vista – Scanpst Vista 64 Bit | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org says: […] Open a Socket! » Blog Archive » Where to find Scanpst on Vista – For a 64-bit operating system, the programs are typically installed in one of the following folders … […]

14. Location Of Scanpst On Vista | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org says:

[…] Open a Socket! » Blog Archive » Where to find Scanpst on Vista – … Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 has this to say on the location of SCANPST.EXE: “The Inbox Repair Tool installs automatically during setup. These programs are typically located in one of the following folders: … […]