Zoho Banner September 2011

Archive for the ‘Windows Server 2012 R2’ Category

The other day one of my customers was testing remote access to a web application via the Web Application Proxy (WAP). Everything seemed to working except some reports. These generated “HTTP Error 400. The request URL is invalid”. Given that the reports worked well inside the corporate network it pointed to an issue with the WAP.

Further investigation revealed that the requested URL for that generated the error was unusually long (approximately 500 characters).

The WAP uses HTTP.sys under the hood. HTTP.sys is a kernel-mode device driver that first drew breath in IIS 6.0 (shipped with the now unsupported Windows Server 2003).

As it turns out HTTP.sys imposes a 260 character limit on URLs. Fortunately, this limit is configurable by modifying the registry, as described in the following KB article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/820129

The steps to increase the limit are:

  1. 1. Create a UrlSegmentMaxLength DWORD value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Parameters and set it to 600 (decimal)
  2. 2. Reboot the WAP server.

This resolved the issue for my customer. I hope it helps you too!

 

You now have the ability to provide product feature requests and changes relating to Windows Server that go direct to the Product Group.  Not only that, but you can build a base of voter support to drive your suggestions across the line.

windowsserver.uservoice.com

I really like this concept as it removes the difficulties associated with getting your voice heard by those that really matter.

 

Had a weird one earlier today.  I installed the Windows Server Backup feature on two Windows Server 2012 R2 servers in the same VMware farm.  On one server I could start the wbadmin.msc snap-in immediately, but on the other I couldn’t find it at all.  I couldn’t find anything in the event logs to explain why it would be missing on that one server.  The problem wasn’t resolved by either a reboot or by uninstalling and re-installing the feature.

A quick search on Google revealed that some people had resolved the issue by installing the Windows NLB feature. This somewhat bizarre workaround also did the trick for me – although I found I only needed to the RSAT tools for NLB rather than the whole feature.  Here’s the proof!

WSB

These are the days when you don’t try to explain things – just shrug and move on!